Tunnel of the Franco Belgian company in Portu street

Description of events

Date : –
Address : C / General Meetings 25

The Franco-Belgian railway was inaugurated in 1880, it traveled the route between Ortuella and the estuary as it passed through Luchana, it was 7 km long, and part of its route crossed the urban area of ​​Barakaldo to carry the mineral from the mines to the landings located next to the Nervión.

In this urban route, there were bridges and tunnels that allowed the train and wagons to save the various accidents. One of those tunnels, specifically the one located next to Calle Portu, was used as a bomb shelter, for which it had to be properly enabled.

A letter from the mayor dated November 7, 1936, addressed to the managing engineer of the Franco-Belgian Society, requests that revolving iron doors be installed at the two exits of the tunnel in order to increase the capacity of the refuge and reinforce security “provided naturally, that this should not hinder the movement in the aforementioned tunnel of the mining trains of that Company ”.

Almost three months later, on February 3, 1937, the mayor again addressed the director of the Franco-Belgian Society to communicate the following: 

“I have the honor to inform you that in order to reinforce the shelter against aerial bombardments established by the tunnel of the mining railway of the Company, near Calle Portu, a few cubic meters of earth have been thrown over it, which according to reports of our technicians, they must not cause damage or harm to the aforementioned tunnel, or hinder the circulation in the least. Said lands will later be withdrawn on behalf of this municipality when the appropriate moment arrives ”.

Currently, part of the route of this railway has been replaced by the Paseo Dolores Ibarruri, through which the bidegorri passes. 

SOURCES :
Municipal Archive of Barakaldo;
– Box 650, file 20.
– Box 650, file 1.

Place reference

Currently, part of the route of this railway has been replaced by the Paseo Dolores Ibarruri, through which the bidegorri passes.

State of conservation

There is no sign of its existence.

Old photography

Recent photograph

Close

Visit Barakaldo

Barakaldo Turismo

Close
Skip to content