Description of events
Date : –
Address : C / Plaza Bide Onera
The first Francoist mayor, José María Llaneza, erected a monument to the fallen of his side. In 1938 the construction of the work went out to public tender.
According to Koldobika López (p. 349), the technical indications required by the city council ranged from the type of brick to be used, the type of marble, to the metal nails with a diamond tip to fix the marble plates where they would be placed. the names of the martyrs.
Only one building contractor, a resident of Barakaldo named Rodrigo Saiz Ezquerra, who lived in Calle del Generalissimo nº2 on the 1st floor, appeared and promised to make the monument for 17,800 pesetas.
The city council asked the builder that the monument bear the three glorious dates on its base; the uprising (July 18, 1936), Barakaldo’s liberation (June 22, 1937) and the victorious end (April 1, 1939).
The monument was inaugurated on June 22, 1939 with a display of patriotic dances and speeches and was demolished in 1980.
It was located in the current Plaza Bide Onera, which in 1927 was renamed Plaza de Alfonso XIII to change in 1931 to Plaza de Luis Elizalde and shortly after to Plaza de Sabino Arana y Goiri. Later, in 1937, it changed its name to Plaza del General Primo de Rivera and at the same time this space was remodeled, erecting the monument here.
In 1980 this place was assigned its current name of “Plaza Bide Onera”, making mention and thereby distinguishing the “Cooperativa Bide Onera”, located here since its foundation in 1921.
At present this monument does not exist.
LÓPEZ, Koldobika (2016). The Civil War in Barakaldo. Eleven months of resistance. Bilbao: Beta Editions.