Description of events
Date : –
Address : C / Juntas Generales 25
The Colegio de Nuestra Señora del Carmen, better known as Colegio de los Hermanos, was created in 1918 by Altos Hornos de Vizcaya to train the sons and daughters of workers. During the war, it also served as a blood hospital and headquarters for a battalion of the UGT. The management of the school was the responsibility of the La Salle brothers.
A bomb fell next to the school, according to the historian Koldobika López, on the side of Juntas Generales street, although the date is unknown. The explosion led to the beheading of a woman, according to the testimony of Maria Gago, a direct witness to what happened and the head nurse of the Barakaldo blood hospitals.
The school was demolished in 1975 and currently the Parque de los Hermanos is located on its site. However, sections of the wrought-iron fence that surrounded it still remain. The marks of those bombs are still visible there.
LÓPEZ, Koldobika (2016). The Civil War in Barakaldo. Eleven months of resistance. Bilbao: Beta Editions.
The school was demolished and the Parque de los Hermanos is located on its site. C / General Meetings No. 25
State of conservation
Traces of the damage suffered by the bombing remain; There are still sections of the wrought iron fence that surrounded it, the marks of the bombs are still visible there.